Friday, June 20, 2008

The Devil Shift

My seatmate, Wilhelm, from Tanzania, suggested a few minutes ago (I am blogging while in class) to use one of the term 'Devil Shift' as a possible entry in my blog. This is probably one of the few terms I will remember in my current module on Environmental Policy and Management. The term doesn't mean the coming of the devil, because it is already within our midst! It means portraying your enemy more powerful and horrible as they are or they might be. A good example is telling your mother that your playmate pushed you that caused you a nasty bruise on your knee, when the problem is you are simply a weakling!

Politicians and interest groups use this to gain support from and influence behaviors of analysts and undermine objectivity of analysis, and consequently results. Environment groups could exaggerate how industries destroy the environment. But then again, probably not.

No comments: